Selecting and applying for a summer youth employment program!
First, let me start by stating my perspective of the New Castle County summer youth employment application process is from a personal experience. I am not affiliated with the New Castle County government and will only document the process. During a conversation with my high school-age Daughter, she expressed interest in employment opportunities. As a professional in human resources, I heard of youth employment initiatives but never considered participation in a program.
We started researching job openings and found New Castle County offers summer youth employment. We visited the website at https://nccde.org/859/2020-NCC-Summer-Youth-Employment-Program and found all the information, requirements, and application. While completing the application the job description was detailed, the website includes a portal to upload documents and the entire application process took about an hour. After applying, I began thinking of the benefits for summer youth employment including:
- real-world professional work experiences.
- it is a great resume builder.
- teaches young people ethics, social skills and often includes work-related networking opportunities.
- it is a chance to earn money, develop valuable financial and money management skills.
- young people can gain verbal and written communication skills.
- youth employment is a great professional development tool in career planning.
While each program is different and has specific guidelines of participation based on the reasons mentioned above, I am happy to offer summer youth employment as an option for my Daughter. Most high school-aged children can benefit from employment during their scholastic career. Alongside a quality education, summer youth employment can build skills employers find necessary in the future generation of entrepreneurs and employees. Stay tuned for my next installment in the series “Why a Summer Job?”.